Sunday, January 18, 2009

Summary of life from the old living.

Hi, haven't been here in quite a while. I don't really know what to say. and college's internet has gone haywire sometimes, so its really annoying.

Hum...last Thursday, I was supposed to present a case on a bedsite teaching, but Dr. Ye took a long time discussing another case, so I was exempted from presenting my case. My case was pretty interesting. My patient is a 67 year-old English man. Its fun clerking him, I love English accent!

However, before that, I clerked an old woman, she was brought to the nursing home by her siblings because she got sick, immobilized, and no one to take care of her at home coz she's single and she lived with her elderly sister before.

I guess by looking at old people, its kinda like looking at the summary of life. I dont really know how to explain, its just I really feel like that when looking at them. Its like, they have lived.

Starting from young - wanting to explore and try everything there is in the world, sometimes even wanting to be everything they're not (teenagers nowadays btw), they're just like immature babies who are not ready for the real world. they crave for freedom, thrill and they want to express themselves to the whole world. everything is in the fantasy land. they dream, hoping for the happily ever after. they are in search of their own identity.

then came the adult stage, where some people go wiser, more mature. they have learned things from their teenage life. they become more aware of the reality, the cruelty of real life, and they become more responsible.

finally, the old age. things have settled down. some life goals have been accomplished. everything is going settling down. strength, agility, metabolism, any drives mostly reduced. then came weakness, frailty, diseases and disabilities. they then, have to be dependant on people to take care of them. they now also have to pass the torch to the younger people to live on and whatever.

so yeah, thats like, my view on summary of life. of course I could be wrong, not all people would go through what I've said.

my point, they have lived. they have been through like, a hell lot of things. I don't really like the fact that a hell lot of old people have been neglected/abused. I remember a family did it when I was little I visited their house some times. yeah, they feed her and stuff, but they don't really talk to her and sometimes they made offensive jokes about her in front of her! I couldn't do ANYTHING at that time, its so sad to think about. I could have, I would have changed things if I was me now at that time. Its just so sad that they could do such things to people who're the very essence of their own existence.

yeah, of course its really hard to take care of the elderly. the most important thing is sincerety in doing those works. its life, its supposed to be hard.

so yeah, there i go, ranting about geriatrics. I just finished my geriatrics presentation on stroke. even though its just a 2-week-posting, it sure is a subject thats not to be taken for granted in real life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post here. I liked it.

Liyana said...

thanks~ glad you liked it