Friday, January 9, 2009

so long psych~!

3 sweet things in life: victory, revenge and freedom. today I've tasted freedom. lol, how more dramatic can I get? today's our last battle for the psychiatry exams. needless to say, the questions are supermassively tough. I really have no idea on how well I've done. OSCE has been one of the most horrible exam nightmare! The questions were kinda unexpected, and the interactive sessions, I dunno, I don't think I did well enough. Its like I had some thought withdrawals in there. I just lost the ability of speech in front of prof, and dr. Saw Win, with all due respect, I couldn't really understand what he's saying even though he kinda tried to help me with some questions. Interactive sessions are always scary. They want us to have superb communication skills with the patients. Thus, doctors should know very well how to interact with patients. When dealing with another human being, its always kinda hard, though I know it'd get well with practice. Like some quote from Grey's anatomy, "they made it hard on purpose, because we're dealing with life" (paraphrased). Yeah, we know that, but still, its SO tough!

Psychiatry deals a lot with clerking and observing the patients. History taking is an art that should be mastered, so you can handle patients well. History taking isn't just taking notes on what the patient has said. We have to be investigators, searching for answers and solutions. Its SO not easy! And psychiatric patients are not always easy to handle.

Anyways, for what its worth, its been an enjoyable experience, its a new thing and I've learned quite a lot about people. As our psychiatry posting theme said, "there is no health without mental health!". Its surely unforgettable and a very useful experience. I've also learned that before, I have sorta been judgmental to patient with mental illness, and subconsciously has been stigmatizing them. Thats the huge lesson that I've learned. Psychiatry, I love it and I think I'd actually miss psychiatric posting.

And, today has been raining so heavily. I've been tempted to go to sleep when I was supposed to study for the exam. and now that we're free, I'm getting a sorethroat of unknown causes, and a flu. What can I say? Life is cruel.

And tomorrow I've got to go to the main campus to register myself for the new semester, and pay the late fine. yeah, thats the stupidest mistake I've ever made. It was supposed to be solved by a freaking click of mouse, and because of my irresponsibily and Sloth has gotten to me, I've ignorantly ignored Mel's reminder about the registration! And now I have to pay the fine with my shopping money that I've been saving for the purple shirt at The Spring. I did a mistake. But Life is still cruel.

No comments: