Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Moreh, Ramadhan and the "feel"

wow, its been 19 days we're in the fasting month~! time really flies, ne?

tonight is our turn to prepare for Moreh. 1st of all, what is Moreh?
Moreh is a term used for "eating together after solat tarawih". I think the term originates from West Malaysia as I've never used that term before. anyways, yeah, Moreh is one of the experience in the fasting month, which has the "feel" of being in the fasting month.

So, we cooked
a) Mashed potatoes
b) French fries (yeah, I know, too many potatoes XD)
c) last but not least, Sushi by yours truly, moi~ XD

it was quite a hit, if I must say, so yeah, so proud and happy seeing people eat what you've made. its priceless XD. though I wish we could just take some pics of our hard work! we've been too busy that we forgot to capture the precious moment!

and speaking of Ramadhan, there are some things that make it really feel like Ramadhan. so, my other experiences that is specific to giving the "feel" to Ramadhan are:

1. sahur: waking up early in the morning before dawn to eat. kinda like the preparation for the fast during the day. I'm not a morning person, let alone waking up before dawn! so its kinda hard for me to get up for sahur. its been difficult but I kinda toughen myself just to have the "feel" of Ramadhan. (actually, only drinking some water is enough for me XD)

2. break of fast aka sungkey: eating at dusk, after the whole day of fasting. one of the merriest time of the day. yup, kinda like, celebrating our effort in fasting. victory!! XD

3. ramadhan bazaar: an area filled with stalls selling food and drink. it has almost everything! XD walking around a bazaar, with an empty stomach and food all around you.. its like the most tempting moment of the day, and this could lead to over spending of food XD

4. tarawih & witir: the prayers performed specially for Ramadhan month. to pray for forgiveness and to be thankful for everything. filled with lotsa fadhilat, even busy people make time for these prayers.

5. tadarus al-quran: the reading of the Muslim's holy book, the Quran. usually people would want to finish reading the Quran in this month. its good to reflect its meaning and learn from it.

6. moreh: like I said, eating after the prayers. it increases the bond between other people. people eat and strengthen the bond of silaturrahim.

7. documentary about Islam: like Jejak Rasul and Syahadah. mostly airing about the history of Islam, the historical places, about other Muslims in other countries and all that. a good way to increase knowledge about Islam.

8. cooking programs: 2 significant programs a) cooking for break of fast, b) cooking for Raya (Eid) preparation!! somehow those just leave you with the "feel" of Ramadhan XD

9. baking!: oh, I love this the most! its for Raya, where we serve cookies, cakes or anything for the guests. I really love baking, though I don't think I would be able to do so because there's no time :(

10: Raya cards: SOOO nostalgic! really love sending those in my younger days XD. now, its all about e-cards and SMS, people just don't bother much about sending a proper card! :(

so yeah, thats all I can think about for now. Happy Ramadhan to all Muslims~

No comments: