Monday, April 7, 2008

yaho~ splinting!

that's one of the finger splints that I've made myself during the session with the Occupational Therapy section. It was fun to mold the splints and the occupational therapist was VERY helpful! She was willing to spend some of her time to teach us young innocent medical students. and I made like, 4 splints for myself, and 3 for my fellow colleagues. Here are the ways to make a splint.

1. cut the splint piece just enough for the part you want to splint
2. drop it in the water bath (usually around 60-80 C), and wait for it to be more transparent (the hard one is like, white in color usually or other solid colors).
3. pick it up with a spatula, then shape it on the part (hand, arm or finger) then mold it according to the shape of the part. make sure the concept of preventing contracture and permanent flexion/extension is achieved)
4. when its a bit hard, remove it and run it under running water.
5. for cosmetic value, soak the edges in hot water and rub the edges till they go blunt, and that way the splint will look better
6. put on velcro straps, and splint away~!

I've made other colors:
purple:
blue:
and this little special one, is for mallet fingers:

I'm starting to LOVE orthopedics~ yay~!

No comments: